OUR SERVICE STANDARDS CRITERIA
The BC Unclaimed Property Society endeavors to consistently provide a superior standard of service to all claimants, organizations and individuals. We adhere to strict privacy policies while working to expedite verified claims to reunite rightful owners with their unclaimed funds. Following are the Society’s Service Standards.
- Quality of Service
- Standard Business Hours for our office are: 8:30am – 4:30pm Monday – Friday.
- Claims Status:
– The status of a claim can be viewed anytime through the Society’s online portal.
– Claims are assessed in order of receipt. More complex claims generally require a longer time period before being finalized. Once a claim is finalized, payment is normally made within 14 business days.
- Standards of Proof
Verification a claimant must provide in order for a claim to be approved include the following:
- Government issued identification to verify the identity of a claimant.
- Supporting documentation proving legal ownership or entitlement to the property.
- Where no documentation exists, the Administrator may consider alternate sources verifying entitlement to a specific property on a case-by-case basis.
- Disputes and Appeals
Claims disallowed by the Administrator may be appealed to the Administrator’s Board of Directors in accordance with S.5.1 of the Unclaimed Property Act. The Appeal must be received in writing within 15 days of the Administrator’s decision. The claimant must provide all supporting documentation necessary to determine entitlement when filing an Appeal. Appeals will be reviewed by the Administrator’s Board of Directors who will notify the claimant of their decision in writing within 30 days with a right of extension as required.